The sheer volume of news regarding Donald Trump was overwhelming and impossible to keep up with. So many things happened, so many truly important things…the only way to make any sense of it is to aggregate it in one place.
Friday was arguably the worst day of Trump’s campaign. That is a bold statement, but once this list is complete, one that will not seem so hyperbolic.
- Started the day with more fallout from all the sex scandals that dropped Wednesday and Thursday.
- Ben Carson had a disastrous interview this morning on MSNBC.
- In a first, the Committee to Protect Journalists released a statement acknowledging a Trump presidency would pose a threat to press freedom.
- The Daily Beast reported Trump frequently referred to Apprentice star Marlee Matlin as “retarded;” she put out a statement in response.
- Summer Zervos, a contestant from season five of The Apprentice appeared with attorney Gloria Allred to lodge an additional complaint of sexual misconduct.
- Speaking at a rally in North Carolina, Trump dismissed Jessica Leeds’ charges by saying, “Yeah, I’m gonna go after you. Believe me – she would not be my first choice, that I can tell you. Man. You don’t know – that would not be my first choice.” Most took that as a direct attack on her looks, and the backlash was swift.
- Trump also asked about President Obama, “Why doesn’t some woman say what they say about me about him?”
- A second Apprentice contestant, Summer Zervos, accused Trump of groping her on two different occasions.
- Hope Hicks walked back Mike Pence’s promise that evidence would be released to discredit Trump’s accusers.
- Kellyann Conway tweeted an article to discredit one accuser. Per The Guardian:
Donald Trump’s campaign has put forward a British man to counter accusations of sexual assault made against the candidate by a 74-year-old woman, who alleged in an interview with the New York Times that Trump groped her on a flight more than three decades ago.
Anthony Gilberthorpe, a former Conservative activist who last made headlines in 2014 when he alleged that he had once supplied politicians with underage boys for Tory sex parties, told the New York Post that Jessica Leeds’ account doesn’t square with his memory.
- Trump told Howard Stern in 2004 that Lindsay Lohan was likely “great in bed” because she was “probably deeply troubled.”
- In 2013, Donald Trump Jr. suggested women who cannot handle being harassed “don’t belong in the workforce.”
- The campaign declared war on Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim,a 17% shareholder in The New York Times, claiming he is biased and working in collusion with the Clinton campaign to generate these attacks.
- Donald Trump Jr. posted a letter on Twitter from a nine year old girl asking that Clinton be jailed.
- Trump body shamed Clinton when he said: “She walks in front of me, you know? And when she walked in front of me, believe me, I wasn’t impressed.”
- The vitriol aimed at the media intensified greatly. Trump: “The media is, indeed, SICK, and it’s making our country sick, and we’re going to stop it. We’re going to stop it. We’re going to take on the big MEDIA, big BUSINESS and big DONORS that are bleeding our country dry…”
- Trump’s talk of a secret banker/media/politico conspiracy has echoes of anti-Semitic tropes. The Anti-Defamation League weighed in.
- He encouraged his audience to “check out” the Facebook account of one of his accusers.
- Both Arizona and Utah, typically safe Republican states, are up for grabs.
- Tonight’s speech is wrapping up. Early reports are the TelePrompTers were not working, so that will probably merit another story in itself. According to The Hill, he took it apart and announced to the crowd he would not be paying for the service.
- The Daily Beast reported during the 13th season of The Apprentice, Trump repeatedly referred to Lil Jon as Uncle Tom, despite numerous requests to stop.
That’s a wrap for today’s Cliff’s Notes: Trumpnado Edition.